Template

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Embossing Powder....not just for stamps

Over a year ago, a friend of mine gave me a stamp and some silver embossing powder. She had used it for her wedding invitations, and didn't need it anymore. I used the stamp once for a Valentines day card, but then after that I couldn't think of a way to reuse it, but I liked the effect that the embossing powder gave to it. I didn't want to buy more stamps, because I didn't know if I would get into it, so I bought an embossing pen. It's called "ZIG Emboss Writer". Basically its just a felt pen, with two different ends (one with fine point, and one thats a bit thicker) and it has almost invisible ink that takes a while to dry. With this you can emboss whatever design you can draw or write. Something fun that I tried was to make one of my papers more exciting with embossing glitter, here is a sample of what I did:


I basically just outlined the pattern on the paper with the thicker tip of the embossing, then sprinkled "Stardust" transparent embossing powder on it, shook the excess of, and then used the heat tool to set/raise the embossing powder. You can't tell on here very well, but it made the paper sparkle very much. Another thing you can do with the embossing pen is use it to emboss your writing. I used it, with silver embossing powder, here as a title for one of the pages in the baby book:


If you are just starting scrapbooking, it is a little expensive to buy the heat tool. I have tried hair dryers and car lighters, but the results are very inconsistent. I would recommend waiting for a 40% off Michaels coupon, and buying the heat tool then. If you already stamp, this would be a cheap thing to try, if you haven't already.

The products I used:

Marvy Embossing Heat Tool
ZIG Emboss Writer (with 0.5mm and 1.2mm felt tips)
Stampendous - Stampi-N Stuff Embossing Powder in "Detail Silver Opaque and Stardust Transparent"

All of these items were purchased at Michaels
Here is a link for the current 40% off Coupon : http://vancouver.flyerland.ca/view_coupon.php?coupon_id=1315#
If you are looking for coupons in your own area, just go to the flyerland website , type in your city and go from there.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder about this! I love the look, but don't often think about doing it. I have a Versamark pen that works the same way in case people can't find the ZIG one.

    ReplyDelete